|Dark Lord, Mad Titan, Great Titan, The Most Powerful Being in the Universe, Almighty Thanos, Genocidal Maniac, Perpendicular Grape in Need of Chapstick and a Heart, Madman, Sire|
|February 01, 1000|
|October 2, 2019|
|Kronos (paternal grandfather, deceased);|
Daina (paternal grandmother, deceased);
A'Lars (father, deceased);
Sui-San (mother, deceased);
Zuras (uncle, deceased);
Eros (brother, deceased);
Thena (cousin, deceased);
Sersi (cousin, deceased);
Zorr (son, deceased);
Gamora (adoptive daughter);
Nebula (adoptive daughter);
Black Dwarf (adoptive son, deceased);
Yabbat Ummon Turru (adoptive son, deceased);
Corvus Glaive (adoptive son, deceased);
Ebony Maw (adoptive son, deceased);
Proxima Midnight (adoptive daughter, deceased);
Cull Obsidian (adoptive son, deceased);
|Black Order, Chitauri, Outriders|
|Ruler of the Chitauri and the Outriders, leader of the Black Order, conqueror, slaver,|
Base of Operations:
|Sanctuary, Titan (formerly)|
|Identity:||No Dual Identity|
|Education:||Combination of formal Titanian education and self-teaching|
|1200 lbs (544 kg)|
|Origin:||Titan with abnormal genetic features|
|Place of Birth:||Titan|
Thanos is a genocidal warlord, conquering many planets, whose own main objective was to kill half of the universe. To complete this goal, Thanos set about hunting down all the Infinity Gems, as the combined efforts might wipe out half the universe.
Thanos engaged in a ferocious crusade, in order to obtain the Infinity Gems. During his mission, both Thanos and his Black Order invaded multiple planets and slaughtered thousands to gain the stones, Thanos soon found himself challenged by the alliances of the entire universe's greatest heroes, which included the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, despite facing off against the powerfully combined opposition, Thanos still ultimately triumphed as he completed the Infinity Gauntlet, using it to finally complete his goal and had caused the Snap, which resulted in half of all life in the universe being wiped out at the snap from his fingers.
1 year later, following his Snap, Thanos had found the infinity Gauntlet and gems were stolen, in a rage, he attacked the Avengers headquarters and decided to instead wipe out the entire universe and replace it out of revenge for their efforts to stop him. However, Thanos had been just too late to stop the Snap from being reversed as thousands of heroes returned to stop him. Despite all of Thanos' best efforts, he was unable to claim victory as Peter Parker used the Infinity Gems, and had decimated the Black Order, Chitauri and Outriders, as well as Thanos himself, finally ending his reign once and for all.
Thanos was usually seen by everyone else as the ultimate personification of sadism, cruelty, megalomania, infinite destruction, death, power, and madness, with his search for the Infinity Gems seen by others as his plot to gain dominion over all the civilizations in the universe. In reality, Thanos was a more complex and tortured soul given that his traumatic past and obsession with completing what he perceived as his destiny had led him to commit horrible actions all in the name of saving the universe even at a great personal sacrifice to himself. He was also relentless, as seen by his gathering of children from across the galaxy to take as his own so he can raise them as assassins and aid him by tirelessly searching for the Infinity Stones. In addition to this, Thanos had extraordinary willpower, as evidenced by his absolute refusal to succumb to Mantis' sleep-inducing touch despite its ability to usually make her victims docile almost instantly through but a simple touch, with her thus remarking that the Titan was "very strong" in his mental fortitude.
He was extremely intimidating and often unforgiving of failures, He had little to no regard for his subordinates, as seen by him showing absolutely no empathy when Ronan killed The Other. Regardless of his disregard for his minions, Thanos was shown to be an extremely skilled and charismatic leader, having been able to inspire fierce loyalty from the Black Order, as well as command the Chitauri and the Outriders, both being highly savage and powerful creatures, unchallenged.
He was extremely confident to the point of borderline arrogance and appears to be almost impossible to intimidate. He was shown to be smiling when The Other told him challenging the Avengers would be like courting Death, He also smiled confidently after deciding to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself.
He was also manipulative and mistrustful, He is surprisingly patient, as he keeps a low profile, lurking in the shadows and making others do his work for him even after centuries of failure. He did not make a move for the Infinity Gems directly nor did he openly show that he possessed an Infinity Gem until he was finally ready to collect the stones himself in rapid succession, presumably because he knew possessing one or more of the Infinity Stones would draw unwanted attention, prompting others to attack him and impede his preparations before he was finally ready.
Thanos was ruthlessly strict and feared by his children, having Ebony Maw fearing his judgment should he fail.
Thanos had shown a dark sense of sarcastic humor and was able to remain calm and unfazed in situations that would frighten and shock most others.
Upon learning that the Avengers had stolen the Gems and undid the decimation, Thanos became very angered. Because of this, Thanos decided to change his plan into destroying the universe and rebuilding it in his image. Thanos himself claimed that when it came to the planets he conquered and slaughtered, it was never "personal," but due to the Avengers and the heroes constantly frustrating his plans, he viewed the Avengers as "unruly wretches" for daring to challenge him and by extension, he came to see Earth as "stubborn and annoying" and that he would enjoy tearing Earth apart, and boasting that he would inevitably accomplish his goal. It was ultimately his arrogance that led to his downfall and allowed Spider-Man to outsmart and defeat him, as Thanos had consistently dismissed all of Earth's defenders as beneath him, and it was due to the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and the Guardians of the Galaxy rushing to stop him that the sides had now changed; it was the Avengers who were prepared this time, and Thanos was now the one who was rushing to stop them. Although visibly distraught, upon seeing the sunrise, the Titan was at least able to find some solace that he could enjoy it without being hindered and died somberly, all while accepting his defeat and fate with dignity.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: Thanos possessed much of the same physical constitution and abilities from his extinct species. He possessed immense levels of superhuman strength, durability, and reflexes that allowed him to effortlessly overpower and injure similarly sized beings as strong as Hulk, but even smaller and incredibly powerful and super strong individuals as well.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanos possesses vast superhuman strength the full limits of which aren't known. Death has increased his strength beyond their original limits to levels rivaling or surpassing those of the physically strongest Eternals. He has proven capable of fighting Thor. His strength is so vast that he has been able to defeat the likes of the Silver Surfer, punch away an attacking Hulk, physically subduing with ease Beta Ray Bill.
- Superhuman Durability: Thanos possessed an impressive degree of resistance to physical injury, even compared to other Eternals, He has withstood at point blank range planet-destroying attacks without any harm. He has withstood blasts from the Silver Surfer unharmed. He withstood a battering from an enraged, Power Gem-wielding Thor with nothing but a bloody nose. He possesses such an incredible resistance to injury that he has been shown to survive point-blank blasts from Odin and Galactus. Thanos has withstood three full screams from Black Bolt, one at point-blank range, without any significant damage.
- Superhuman Speed: Despite his size, Thanos could move at extraordinary superhuman speeds.
- Superhuman Agility: Despite his great size, Thanos' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Thanos' reaction time is enhanced to a level that is beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Thanos' musculature produces almost no fatigue toxins during physical activity. As a result, he could exert himself at peak capacity for a near indefinite period before poison toxins start to impair him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Thanos' physiology possessed a powerful regenerative healing factor, which allowed him to quickly regenerate from any of his wounds, regardless of severity or blood loss.
- Immortality: Thanos is an extremely long-lived being and was roughly over 1000 years of age by the events of the Infinity Wars and the Battle of Earth. Even during the 2010s, he had displayed no signs of aging or any decline in his physical powers.
- Infinity Gauntlet: After equipping the Infinity Gauntlet onto his right arm, combined with his already extraordinary physical constitution and raw power, Thanos was granted the potential to safely harness the supernatural powers of all six Infinity Gems should he add them to the Gauntlet. The more Gems Thanos inserted into the Gauntlet, the more power he gained and also acquired the Gems' dominion over the necessary fabric of existence. Merely having two Gems was enough to make him the strongest being in the whole universe while Gamora said that with three Gems, Thanos would be too powerful to stop. Eventually, upon acquiring all six Gems, Thanos became the most powerful being in the universe while gaining absolute control over the entire fabric of existence and also able to do almost anything he desired, His power with the Infinity Gauntlet was so great that when Doctor Strange peered through over 14 million futures, he saw only one that ended in Thanos' defeat, and this future required Thanos to win. Presumably, due to having done thorough research on the Gems, Thanos displayed incredible understanding and knowledge of their powers and quickly as well as fully mastered all of them, which allowed him to use their dominion over the fabric of existence for combative purposes with extreme finesse, making him nearly impossible to defeat in battle.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: With all six Infinity Gems in the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos gained nearly omnipotent levels of power, with control over all six aspects of existence, making him the most powerful being in the entire universe and wielding such near-limitless levels of power that allows him to do almost anything he desired. His power was so great that, even while considerably injured, he still was capable of wiping out half of the universe with a simple snap of his fingers. With this level of power, Thanos was almost invincible, to the point that the only way to subdue him was for the gauntlet to be removed, which would take away his powers or if a sufficiently powerful being wielding a sufficiently powerful weapon were to surprise Thanos.
- Terrain Manipulation: Combining the Space and Reality Gems, Thanos could manipulate the terrain at such a scale.
- Energy Absorption and Transformation: Combining the Space and Power Gems, Thanos could manipulate and redirect outside energy, absorbing and channeling the explosive power of Iron Man's missiles into a concentrated beam of fire.
- Energy Blast: After acquiring all six Gems, Thanos could combine their powers to fire a concentrated beam of pure light and energy.
- Death Inducement: After the Gauntlet was completed and the Gems reached their full potential, Thanos gained the power to induce death on a universal scale at whim, using each of the Gems' control over the fabrics of existence to wipe out half the universe even after he had already been grievously wounded. However, using the Gauntlet at such a weakened state took a great toll on Thanos, while scorching the Gauntlet and Thanos' left arm.
- Energy Manipulation: After inserting the Power Gem into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquired complete control over the destructive force of the universe. Due to his strong understanding and familiarity with the Gem's powers, he was capable of manipulating the Gem's destructive energy for a wide plethora of versatile and dangerous capabilities, with the Gem becoming among his most versatile and often-used in combat methods for its destructive potential.
- Pain Inducement: Thanos could subtly use the energy of the Power Gem as a very effective form of torture by exposing an individual to the energy of the Power Gem to cause them tremendous pain and can limit the amount of energy sent into the body of said being to avoid killing them. He could combine this with the other Gems to increase the torture's potency.
- Energy Detonation: Thanos could unleash the Power Gem's destructive energy to charge objects with unstable explosive energy with just a single gesture from the Gauntlet, causing them to overload and violently detonate. This ability proved to be the most commonly used out of all the diverse capabilities of the Power Gem due to its great versatility and combat potential thanks to his ability to control the time and size of the detonation, whether instantly or slowly or how devastating, which allowed him to use it with devastating efficiency.
- Energy Projection: Thanos' primary usage of the Gem was to project its explosive energy in many forms of extremely powerful energy attacks, that applied incredible amounts of powerful concussive force that were even capable of outright destroying objects with its volatile power or incapacitating and greatly damaging even the most durable of individuals. He can directly concentrate the Gem's energy into destructively powerful beams easily strong enough to cleave through rocks, force back a shielded Iron Man, and sending him flying with great force and damaging his armor. He was also able to unleash the energy wildly as a shockwave of energy that was easily potent enough to knock out Star-Lord, Drax and Nebula instantaneously despite their great superhuman resilience and displays being able to focus the energy into repulsive waves, Thanos also was able to use it as a powerful form of defense by conjuring a very strong force field of energy that was easily powerful enough to block Iron Man's repulsors even when the latter used both of his hands to emit two blasts at once.
- Energy Conversion: After the Gauntlet was completed and the Power Gem reached its height of power, it appears that the Power Gem was able to convert the influence of the other Gems into energy to be unleashed upon the whole universe, as when Thanos snapped his fingers to wipe out half of life in the universe, it caused energy to surge from the Gauntlet and caused ominous rumbling through the universe.
- Space Manipulation: After inserting the Space Gem into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquired the Gem's complete control over space and due to his full understanding of the Space Gem's powers, was capable of expertly using the Gem's dominion over space to achieve a wide plethora of potent and dangerous capabilities.
- Portal Creation: With the Space Gem inserted inside the Gauntlet, the most useful power that Thanos acquires was the power to open Wormholes to any part of the universe, which allowed him to effortlessly teleport himself to another location at will, In addition to using the portals that he could open with the Space Gem as an instant means of transportation, Thanos could also use it to send attacks from other places, as he did to transport the pieces of Titan's moon that he crushed to use them against his opponents. His control was very precise, as he was capable of using the Gem to selectively control what objects are transported.
- Vortex Creation: Using the Space Gem, Thanos can create powerful and devastating singularities capable of compressing and sucking anything in their path, as he generated powerful compression forces to throw back the fragments of the gateway to the Mirror Dimension sent at him by Strange in the form of a small but devastating vortex that gathered up everything in its path and sent it flying towards him. However, Strange was swiftly capable of transmuting it into a harmless substance.
- Spatial Pressure Generation: Thanos showed being able to expertly use the Space Gem to warp the fabric of space to generate powerful spatial pressure around his surroundings, capable of crushing, pulling, and freezing with tremendous force in a manner akin to telekinesis enable him to manipulate and move objects with just a single gesture of the Gauntlet, an ability that proved to be among Thanos' most often used.
- Intangibility: Thanos was even capable of using the Space Gem to phase and unphased objects out of space, rendering them incorporeal and just as easily make them corporeal again.
- Force-Field Generation: Thanos could manipulate the Space Gem's energy to conjure an extremely strong force-field.
- Global Influence Spreading: After the Gauntlet was completed and the Space Gem reached its full potential, it appears that the Space Gem allows the influence of the other Gems to reach the whole universe, which allowed Thanos to use the power of all Gems to wipe out half the universe.
- Reality Manipulation: After inserting the Reality Gem into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquired complete control over reality. His skill in using the Reality Gem was more advanced, achieving numerous powerful capabilities.
- Dimensional Negation: Having the Reality Gem also granted Thanos the power to nullify the warping of dimensions, as Thanos was able to prevent himself from being trapped inside the Mirror Dimension by a gateway to said dimension sent at him by Doctor Strange.
- Illusion Conjuration: Thanos could use the Reality Gem to alter reality to create highly realistic and elaborate physical simulations and illusions of false realities over a wide range of influence..
- Invisibility: With the power of creating illusions, the Reality Gem granted Thanos to make himself invisible.
- Matter Transmutation: Thanos could use the Reality Gem to transmute and warp matter to anything he wants. This allows Thanos to effortlessly transform weapons into harmless substances.
- Biological Manipulation: The Reality Gem even made Thanos capable of warping the bodies of a living organism, showing the power to release a ball of the Reality Gem's energy capable of turning his targets into pieces of themselves, However, with the Infinity Gauntlet completed and the Reality Gem amplified to its full potential, it became so potent that it could destroy the body of others truly by disintegrating them to dust, something which Thanos used to wipe out half the universe with a simple snap of his fingers, with the Reality Gem turning all the victims' bodies to dust.
- Soul Manipulation: Thanos with the Soul Gem could manipulate the souls of his enemies.
- Soul Containment: Thanos can use the Soul Gem to trap souls in a mysterious pocket dimension.
- Time Manipulation: After inserting the Time Gem into his Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquired complete control over time, which allowed him to control time itself by manifesting mystical green runes of energy surrounding the user's arm and wrist before finally conjuring a green, circular mandala made of energy in the palm of his hand.
- Event Recreation: Thanos was capable of rewinding time to recreate certain events with a surpassing amount of finesse, enough to truly recreate destroyed objects, even those of great power while resurrecting beings and keeping some from being affected.
- Super-Genius Intelligence: Possibly Thanos' most dangerous ability is his mind. Thanos' intellect is dedicated to enhancing his own powers and to the annihilation of all life. Thanos is a genius in virtually all known fields of advanced science and has created technology far exceeding contemporary Earth science. He has also shown to quickly adapt to new battle situations, as shown in his fight with the Champion of the Universe, who outclassed him physically and whom he beat by dancing around him, blasting him with energy attacks and tricking him into destroying the planet they fought on. Thanos has remarked that, compared to himself, Bruce Banner's intelligence is only great for human standards.
- Master Tactician: Thanos was an extraordinarily formidable strategist with centuries of experience in tactical warfare and leading huge armies. Even without using his immense powers and combat skills, Thanos successfully conquered many worlds through just his tactical expertise and leadership of his army. Thanos is also extraordinarily skilled in manipulation, as without leaving his throne, he was able to easily and effectively manipulate other powerful beings into doing his bidding, and his strategical ingenuity was shown by how he created extremely complex and well-coordinated plans and instructed his manipulated pawns into performing, with the strategies he created and employed being so effective.
- Skilled Unarmed Combatant: Thanos was an extraordinary warrior and hand-to-hand combatant, with a millennium's worth of fighting experience. Thanos' supreme combat skills supplemented by his physical prowess enable him to overpower even the strongest opponents. Under his tutelage, all of his adopted children, including Gamora herself, became extremely formidable fighters.
- Mystical Knowledge: He also has great knowledge of arcane and mystical lore.
Robotic Drones: Thanos has designed several different types of robotic drones to serve his needs. These drones carry out many functions, including maintenance, manual labor, record-keeping, and security. These robots come in many shapes and sizes dependent on their purpose.
Thanos has access to his own fleet of starships which have included:
Stasis Rifle: An experimental weapon capable of generating a cube of pure force, which envelops the target and places them into near-complete physical stasis, The experimental version of this weapon carried charge enough for only one blast.